Monday, May 31, 2010

Connecting Poetry to Current Events (Last Journal)

Since I never really hear anything about poets or poetry in current times, I though I'd write a reflection journal pertaining to this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/4863351/Internet-is-causing-poetry-boom.html

As a future computer science major, this article stood out to me. It seems to convey the idea that poetry, one of the oldest forms of expression, is able to be reborn through new agents of socialization like the internet. It seems to epitomize the times we live in, where everything, even art, can be 'digi-tized' and spread to any and everybody.

The idea that poetry is becoming 'obsolete' is also an interesting issue which this article seemed to address. "rather than making poetry pamphlets "obsolete", Mr Price said the internet had provided 'a limitless shop window for a new generation of small presses and micro-publishers'". I sort of chuckled to myself while reading this, because that's exactly what my blog is all about... A small source of creativity that can be propagated to millions of users with ease. Pushing aside weak arguments made in the article like "You would expect live music to disappear but it hasn't, the opposite has happened...", I still enjoyed the article because it touched on a very thought provoking issue.

Thanks for reading my last poetry response journal thing... BOOYASHAKA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment